Slider

HELLO AGAIN

My Tips & Tricks To Feel More Confident & Comfortable At Blogger Events.

Tuesday 15 July 2014

confidence, events, tips and tricks, my pale skin blog

It's no secret that I crumble when I go to events. Walking into a room full of people you don't know, but who all seem to know each other scares the crap out of me, and as new blogger, it happens to me almost every time I attend some sort of press or blogger event.

Over the past few months, since i've got to know more bloggers online and attented more functions I've picked up a few tips that I've started to introduce into my daily life.

This may seem odd, writing a post on how to be more confident when i'm often a crumbling wreck at events, but as so many lovely people have messaged me about my confidence post, I'd thought i'd share a little more of my journey with you. You never know, if it helped me, it may help you too.


1. Outfit.
I'm not a fashion blogger, and quite frankly I know very little about fashionable clothes. I kind of do my own thing and buy what I think will suit my body, rather than what's 'in' at the moment. With that in mind, when you're going to an industry event, full of fashionable or beautiful people - I don't recommend changing up your personal style. What i mean by that is, If you don't wear backless dresses, super short shorts, or bright clashing prints... now may not be the time to experiment if you're shy or nervous about the event. The added insecurities about your outfit, won't help your confidence levels at the event.

It may not be 'cool' to rewear an outfit lots of times, but if that lucky black dress, or your favourite jeans make you feel like a supermodel. Wear it.

I have an outfit that I like to wear to events where I know i'm nervous, or scared as it relieves that added pressure of 'does this outfit look okay? Sometimes I even wear my massive floppy hat, as it acts as a safety blanket to hide behind.

2. The Safety Call
Whether it's your boyfriend, mum, best friend, or sibling... we all have that one person who helps us to feel good about ourselves, make us laugh or calm our nerves. For me that's my boyfriend. He puts up with a lot of my freak outs and panic stricken phone calls before I go to events, and god help him for the times when i'm running late for something. He let's me vent, let's me freak out and then calms me down and stops me from crying and getting too anxious about what time i'll arrive.  90% of the events I go to, i'll be on the phone to him up until I reach the front door to the venue.

 I find that after speaking to him, I know that i'll mentally be calm and in a good place when I walk through the door, giving me the chance to attempt to be 'confident'.

3. The Blogger Date
This is something I mentioned to the girls at The London Blogger Dinner I hosted a few weeks back. If you know in advance that you're going to be attending an event on your own (as I usually do) make a blogger date!

I've made quite a few blogger dates over the past few months, and they've come to fruition via Twitter. Ask on twitter if anyone else is going to the event, if the event has a hashtag, use that, or even the well known hashtags to try and find out who else is going. If you find a few bloggers that you speak to online are already going, why not DM them, and ask if you can meet up before hand? grab a coffee before the event, or even meet at the train/tube station!

Chances are, you're not the only person who is crapping themselves about turning up on their own, so try and arrange a blogger date before hand so you can text each other and go together. It definitely helps me to feel more comfortable and relaxed. I've even started to make some amazing friends!

. As I learn more tips and tricks over the coming months, I'll share them.  These 3 things have helped me, and I hope they help you too!
Em xxx

15 comments:

  1. I defo agree not to change your style. You won't be comfortable so theres no point in trying to change!! <3

    xxx | daisydaisyxxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, and good to know other people feel the same way I do. I'm always on the phone to my boyfriend before I go to events too, it really does help.

    Perfect timing for tonights event too!!

    See you there!

    Jenn
    Photo-Jenn-ic

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look gorgeous! My hair refuses to ever get curls like this haha. I always have a safety outfit to fall back on, one less thing to worry about!

    India / Touchscreens & Beautyqueens

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love a blogger date, meeting beforehand and arriving with someone else in the same situation as you is always so much nicer than arriving on your own!

    Sophie x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also rely on my boyfriend in the same way - he's a saint around exam time! x

    http://ninegrandstudent.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is exactly me, especially the bit about freaking out to my poor boyfriend until I get there. And as you said, if I am late, god help him! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Definitely agree with the blogger date point. I hate walking into blog events on my own! Makes it so much easier meeting up with someone beforehand- you then have a friend for the night too!

    Daisy x

    www.cupcakesandcherries.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really great advices, I hate going alone to anywhere, I feel like all eyes are on me and I start to think "do I have something wrong?" and feel really small.

    xx, M | Brunette In Black

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm such a nervous wreck whenever I have to go anywhere on my own that involves being with a group of people who I don't know! Thank you so much for the tips, will be using these in the future!

    The Velvet Black // UK Style, Beauty and Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have my first bloggers event coming up next weekend and these tips are soo helpful. Such simple points that can be easily forgotten when your nervous and freaking out! Thanks beautiful
    xxx
    http://tasxxx.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such great tips, I haven't actually been to a blogger event yet due to nerves, but I really hope I can overcome this in the future! x

    Maddy from UNSTITCHEDD

    ReplyDelete
  12. Some great tips thanks! They can be applied to lots of other situations as well, I haven't been to any bloggers events yet but I'll be trying these tips out at some conferences that I'm going to for my PhD! x

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is great. My friend and I are looking for an events venue for our blogging. I love your blog content. Keep posting an informative article.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Its suck a nice and informational article. This will really help me and many other viewers. Keep it up!
    how to be more confident in life

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete